When will my pullet start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5SweetChicks, Feb 25, 2013.

1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I'm new at this whole thing so maybe someone could help me. My pullet's comb is starting to get redder and she is starting to grow wattles. She is about 4 months old almost 5 months. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do have another pullet but her comb and wattles aren't that big. She is a little smaller and still growing.

**Note**
    I do not have nesting boxes set up yet. We basically threw a coop together before winter to move them out of where they currently were. But. I can easily go to the store and buy already made nesting boxes and put them up if shes going to start laying sooner than I expected.

2. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    What kind of hen is she? My black sex-links started laying at 18 weeks - most hybrids will lay early. If you have one of these, you'll need nest boxes, and soon. If you have a non-hybrid type, it won't be as early. I believe most birds start around 24 weeks or so, but again, it depends on the breed. I have three pure bred Ameraucanas that are now 47 weeks are haven't laid an egg yet. So, all I can say is, try to have some patience and get some nestboxes. lol

3. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I believe she is an Ameraucana. But she also might be mixed with something. I think Im getting nesting boxes today and putting them in the coop tomorrow.

4. swga

swga Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    My birds started laying between 20 weeks for the earliest, and 24 weeks I think for the latest. They'll use any old box for a nest box. Old copy paper boxes, or boxes from Costco that hold butter or cheese or similar things where the front is lower for display... Chickens aren't picky. But if it gets windy you'll have to tie down a cardboard box! The nice thing about cardboard is that you can just toss it in the compost if it gets icky.
    Milk crates, wooden wine boxes, 5 gal buckets... whatever you can scrounge, the chickens will probably accept. Mine love an old drawer I found from a busted dresser. I added a board in the middle to make it a double-seater... they all use one side though... [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If that is an Australorp, (looks like she might be), she won't lay til she is about 6 months old. Keep some fake eggs in the nest boxes long before they begin to lay so that not only do the pullets know where to lay them, but they also get to pick and play with the eggs. Let the pullets figure out that it is useless to mess with the eggs. Then when they do lay the real thing, they won't be as inclined to pick and play with the real eggs and break them. Will help stop the bad habit of egg eating before it starts.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. sholmz

sholmz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    I have 3 RIR and 5 Dominique that are 6mo old to the day. I also have about 15 Golden Buff (aka, Red Star) that are 51/2 mos old. Not a one has even thought about laying. I'm getting tired of spending money and getting no results. I don't have a rooster and was wondering if that was the reason. There are a lot of egg farms around using white leghorns that certainly don't have roosters. I also have Bobwhite Quail that will be 5 mos old the 4th of March. Same story.
    Any thing that will help. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is a myth that you need a rooster around for hens to lay eggs. Chickens are born with a certain amount of eggs and lay them whether or not a rooster is present. Being that your chickens were hatched late in the year, the lack of day light has probably got them slow to start laying. The increasing daylight will get them going soon.

8. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Just looking at her face and comb, I'd say she has a few weeks. She isn't really that red yet. When she starts squatting, you'll probably see eggs within a couple of weeks.

9. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    She did a weird squat thing the other day, but I thought she just wanted to lay down. Who knows. I think she is close but I've seen other chickens get bigger combs of her breed.

10. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I don't think she is because I don't think Australorps get the eye feathers and beards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by