When will my pullets start laying

tibbits

Chirping
Jul 11, 2021
I have 25 pure barred rocks and columbian rocks... they are 7 weeks... Just curious when this breed starts laying?

I also have some easter eggers that are approx. 12 weeks... whats the average time for them to lay?

Attachments

• 902D7BB8-D6EB-4944-8AE0-EAD8BFED6984.jpeg
    902D7BB8-D6EB-4944-8AE0-EAD8BFED6984.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 35
I have 25 pure barred rocks and columbian rocks... they are 7 weeks... Just curious when this breed starts laying?

I also have some easter eggers that are approx. 12 weeks... whats the average time for them to lay?

Chickens are not precision timekeeping devices. Even within breeds, there is wide individual variance, which is further impacted by seasonal light levels (not temperature). "Start of Lay" is more like a strong suggestion with a broad range of typical than anything you might mark on a calender.

Relax. They will lay when they lay.

EEs are mutts, not even a true breed, and thus have to be accorded a wider range.

That said, Rocks are known for moderately early start of lay, which in combination with their barring makes them very popular parent stock for hybrid layers. 18-22 weeks is, broadly, the target for your various rocks to start dropping things you want to eat.

EEs run the gamut, but tend towards later laying. While there are claims of 20 weeks for start of lay, most of what I've seen (I have never owned one, and won't) is in the 24-30 week range.

Back
Top Bottom