when will my pullets start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by and-roo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

my pullets are 22-24 weeks old and still havent started laying. i have a barred rock and SLW who are the same age and their combs and wattles are getting really big and red, and theyve been like that for a few weeks. i also have two EEs that are a week younger and theyre combs and wattles arent very big yet, but they are the same shade of red as the other two and one of the EEs combs is bigger than the others. by now i was at least expecting the BR to have started laying but still no eggs.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Very soon now. You don't have too much longer to wait.

3. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    x2

4. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Same here, one of my white leghorns has a huge red comb and wattles, 2 others have a bit smaller comb but they can lay whenever. Just gotta wait...
    Here is my oldest.
    [​IMG]

5. and-roo

ok, now that i started this thread one of the older pullets layed an egg. i suspect that it was the BR, but it could have been the SLW, ill just have to wait and see. the egg was this cute little brown egg that was even smaller than my sultan hens eggs, which are small. how long do you think it will be before my EEs start laying? im really excited to see what color eggs they lay. blue, green, or pink?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Haha, how nice it must be to get eggs that early. Be glad you don't have a slow to mature breed like my silkies. None of my pullets have laid before 8 months. Some breeders I've spoken to have had hens wait over a year [​IMG]

7. and-roo

well your lucky you have silkies, i want one really bad but i think im at my maximum of ten chickens

8. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Keep one in a hutch and if anyone asks, it's a fluffy rabbit [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  9. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

10. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    EEs are a little later maturing breed. They've been my last to lay - I think at 28-30 weeks. I have three EEs - one lays a gorgeous sky blue egg, the other lays a olive green egg, though sometimes it is grey until it gets wet. My third one is 17 weeks, so no egg. I hope she lays pink. ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by