1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my rehomed hens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beverlyl, Sep 2, 2009.

1. beverlyl

beverlyl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Morristown Arizona
    Hello all Thank you for being so helpful. I was given 4 hens that were laying before moving them in with mine, so the question is how long before they start laying for me?? I am hoping maybe they will teach mine to lay:) I know it's a long shot but one can hope. Thanks

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It took mine about 2 weeks. I have one that is still not laying. It could take up to a month or so for them to settle down.

Give them time, they will lay.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Yep, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Some of mine settled faster than others and some took forever.

If your like me, patience is not a virtue...lol

4. lindabean

lindabean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I bought 5 12 to 25+ week old hens from the same place and had an egg the next morning. The 3 that were laying before I got them were all laying within 3 days. I get 3 - 4 eggs a week from those 3 , till 2 weeks ago. I'm now down to just 1 hen laying. Feathers everywhere, so I guess they are molting. I read that stops production for a while. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by