When will my RIR and Barred Rock start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wiily1231, Nov 19, 2013.

1. wiily1231

wiily1231 Out Of The Brooder

My Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock are 19 weeks old today and still no eggs yet. When will I get and egg?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicken max

chicken max New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    Hi I have some barred rocks and rir and the started laying 5 months old.

3. wiily1231

thanks

4. wiily1231

Please help me guys![​IMG]

5. Coop6

Coop6 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    My 19 week old RIR just layed her first egg today. Waiting for my other RIR & 2 BR's to start. Here's a pic of her 2 days ago when I was asking the same question [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Pullets mature, like humans, at different rates. We all remember Junior High School. They lay when the bodies are ready and not a day before. Most birds lay a bit before or a bit after 6 months of age. That's sort of a general gauge.

By the looks of their combs and wattles, they look on target. I'd say they'll need another 3 weeks, but remember, here in the northern hemisphere, we're entering the darkest period of the year. We'll hit bottom on Dec 22 and start to experience longer days of sunlight after that.

Light "therapy" involves having a light, on a timer, in the coop which clicks on at 4:30 am and off at 8 am. This provides them with the extra light stimulus that they sometimes need. Doing the light therapy is entirely a choice of the flock keeper. Some folks use it, others prefer to just let Nature control the events. They look healthy and right now? That's the important thing. They'll lay when the time is right.

7. wiily1231

wow your ones comb is SO much bigger, cant combs develop really quickly though? Like overnight almost.

8. wiily1231

I have a heat lamp on at all times as my coop is not insulated.

9. Coop6

Coop6 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Others on here would be better to ask then me. I'm a newbie with the chickens. I have 4 chickens that I got at the same time (1 day old) and she is the first to lay. Her comb and wattles are also largest of all my girls.

10. wiily1231

The Moderator said probably another 3 weeks until the first egg[​IMG] well just keep waiting i guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by