When will my roo start to crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Aug 9, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have one roo and one hen both born in April (not sure of the exact dates). He "talks" a lot but hasn't crowed yet, I've had him since Thursday August 4th.

Is it possible that he won't crow? I'm not supposed to have roos where I live, so once he crows I have to send him to his new home.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He will crow eventually, no question. I have an 18 week old Barred Rock who hasn't crowed yet, but he will. Some start very early (I've had them start at less than a week old) and some start late, but they always crow.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Nuts, that means eventually I'll have to rehome him. If they do crow do you think a shed or garage would muffle the sound?

I mean if he crows only once a day.

I love this little guy and don't want to rehome him.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Once a day? Not a chance, sorry. That would be just too lucky. Mine start about 4-5 a.m. and then they have another session around 6 a.m., then at times during the day, then in late afternoon, and on rare occasions, if they see a light or hear something, could hear them crow around midnight to 1 a.m. The best you can try to do is muffle it, which is hard in the heat of summer when they need lots of air flow and open windows.

5. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Too soon!! My barred rock roo is 13 weeks old now and crows - and crows. This am it started at 5:00 and went on non-stop until 8:00. [​IMG] It crows intermittently all day. If it continues, which it will, it will end up in that big coop in the sky. I can't have all that noise so early and have it rile the neighbors.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    A roo I got as a chick started to crow at 7 or 8 weeks old.Sadly he died at 16 weeks. I think he was an EE.

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay thanks, well at least when he does start I do have a place to rehome him.

8. Mama Kay W

Mama Kay W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    At least you have a place to rehome him, I'm going to need to find a home for mine he's almost 8 weeks old and no crowing yet but once he does, i'm going to have to find a good home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by