When will my rooster start to crow?

selinagil

Songster
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Clarksville, North Florida
He's a 2 month old buff orpington and there are no other male chickens that we can hear. (we can hear everything for a half mile!) Is it something they pick up earlier if there are other roosters around? I'm so excited to hear him!!!!!
big_smile.png

You can always crow for him... I did that with mine (they were definitely old enough, but had never crowed). They looked at me with astonishment, then you could see the little light come on over their little heads... The SLW roo was the first to try, coming out with a respectable but slightly weak and raspy crow. The RIR took note of that, thought "I'll bet I can beat that!", threw back his head and came out with a perfectly splendid crow, surprising even himself! Now the RIR crows quite frequently and proudly, and on the less frequent occasions when the SLW roo crows, the RIR immediately crows to "out-do" him. They're so funny!
big_smile.png
lau.gif
wee.gif

My splash orp Valentine was born, you guessed it, the day after Valentines Day (
wink.png
), and he just began crowing the other day!!!
love.gif

ya know I was just wondering that myself too!! excited to see what others say about this question!!

we have a group of chicks 6wks age outside coop and part of the same group still indoors and I do know there is many cockerels in each group.
smile.png

outside ones started crowing 2nd day we moved them outside...(by far not even close to all the suspected cockerels in the group)

Same age chicks indoors...with lots of cockerels too...but no big rooster around and not one of them has even give it so much as a try.

Watching them....I would really think they sure listen to crowing and maybe it does stimluate them to give it a try?

my frizzle black cochin roo crows almost every time I go in to visit him...esp if I chitter chatter and cluck and crow at him....then there is two other roos so far (silkie and a DUccle usually chime in now.) I was shocked to hear our 6.5 wk old slikie let out his first crow today at this young age...but at least one of em is positive gender id...i hope.
tongue.png

Our adult rooster can get them a going big time!
when he comes over to their fence line...next to their outdoor run he crows at those babies lots. *hehe* about half of the pullets run for dear life into the coop. others squat and the rest crow back at him or keep stretching neck, running like the wind, and flapping their little wings... and even running around pecking the ones that are practicing their crow. absolutely hilarious!!! such an odd noise from those babies... its not much of a crow yet for any of them. very faint raspy and wimpy. simply adorable!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom