1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my rooster start to grow spurs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wjeffgriggs, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    I have a 4 month old rooster that is a mix between a frizzle and a silkie but it looks like a polish. He is 4 months old. Should it have signs of spurs coiming in by now?

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

If you feel the back of his legs you will feel the bump, it takes a while. [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have roos that are 7 months old and they haven't really got noticeable spurs yet. With mine it's usually been a year till you can see them properly...

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Most breeds don't get spurs at least an inch long until they're 1 year old, and at 2 years the spur will measure around 2 inches. It varies, but don't count on seeing much until the 12 month mark.

5. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    I was a bit worried that it is not a rooster because it has not even crowed yet. The lady that sold it was very knowledgeable so I want to trust her opinion. It has not laid a egg yet so that is good. Is there anything else that can be used to identify the sex? Here is a picture

[​IMG]

6. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Sorry, can't help you on sex but wanted to say what a cool looking chicken and [​IMG]. Have fun and enjoy

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  7. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Awesome looking bird![​IMG]

8. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Definitely roo - Polish mix, maybe. I have three Polish roos, and only two of them crow. None of them have spurs, and they are over 16 weeks. The third one opens his mouth and nothing comes out. [​IMG]

Yours has hackle feathers around the neck - visible in the pic, and probably has saddle feathers by the tail. They droop elegantly.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:OHHHH

Polish are some of my all time favorites. He's beautiful and ya, definately a roo.

Can I have him? LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by