When will my Welsummer lay???

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
With my original batch of layers, they all started laying by 20 weeks. With the second batch, they all started laying around 22 weeks, except for my Welsummer! She is approximately 28 weeks old - are they normally late bloomers? Her comb isn't super red yet either...
barnie.gif

Thanks!

Okay... we're at approximately 34 weeks now and still no dark brown eggs (she hatched in November of 2008)!
barnie.gif
Even some of my newbies that I got in April are starting to lay! Is she a lost cause???

I definitely have some concerns about her, she NEVER leaves the coop and is not social with any of the other birds. I guess my plan to breed her with my Welsummer rooster is out the window.

Maybe the egg she hatched from got a little shaken during transport when I ordered them!
jumpy.gif

Is she eating well? She may be at the bottom of the pecking order. If she is how you describe, I would isolate her, and start feeding her separate, and give her lots of attention, she may have failure to thrive. Keep a close eye on her and when she starts to act like a normal chicken, with her health and weight up, then start re-introducing her. She should be laying at this point. Also check for other problems with her

Thanks for the tips! I will move her into the other coop by herself today and see how she does for a while... hopefully that will kick things into gear!

I have an EE who is 7 months old and not laying yet and she is thriving so i know how it feels waiting forever for a cool colored egg. I hope not all Welsummers are like this because my mom is about to get her first chickens and she wants 4 welsummers as part of her flock.

I also have a Welsummer who seems to be taking her time. She's 32-33 weeks old (hatched late May) and . . . nothing. Seems to be quite healthy, good appetite and attitude, comb and waddles are big and bright red, though she does have an odd habit sometimes of walking about like she's squatting, and has done that since she was a chick. (It's not a layer squat. More like when a cat is trying to avoid your hand.) She seems to be low on the social ladder, but isn't bullied (hangs out with the rooster, who was her brooder mate, more than the other hens).

She does have larger spur bumps than my other hens, though from what I've read that doesn't necessarily mean she won't lay. The "whisker" or "spider silk" feathers you can see on her saddle and thighs I'm not sure about. This is the only Welsummer I've had so I'm curious, do other Welsummer owners have these odd feathers on their hens?

Edit: I did see her lingering in the house a little longer this morning. There were other girls taking turns on the nest, but at least she seemed to be watching what they were doing. After reading up some more, it sounds like some Welsummers take upwards of a year to start laying, and she did mature about the time the days were at their shortest, so I'll just have to be patient. . . . Did you ever have any luck, gourmetgrannies?

Last edited:
I also have a Welsummer who seems to be taking her time. She's 32-33 weeks old (hatched late May) and . . . nothing. Seems to be quite healthy, good appetite and attitude, comb and waddles are big and bright red, though she does have an odd habit sometimes of walking about like she's squatting, and has done that since she was a chick. (It's not a layer squat. More like when a cat is trying to avoid your hand.) She seems to be low on the social ladder, but isn't bullied (hangs out with the rooster, who was her brooder mate, more than the other hens).

She does have larger spur bumps than my other hens, though from what I've read that doesn't necessarily mean she won't lay. The "whisker" or "spider silk" feathers you can see on her saddle and thighs I'm not sure about. This is the only Welsummer I've had so I'm curious, do other Welsummer owners have these odd feathers on their hens?

Edit: I did see her lingering in the house a little longer this morning. There were other girls taking turns on the nest, but at least she seemed to be watching what they were doing. After reading up some more, it sounds like some Welsummers take upwards of a year to start laying, and she did mature about the time the days were at their shortest, so I'll just have to be patient. . . . Did you ever have any luck, gourmetgrannies?
I know this a super old thread but I just wanted to say that my welsummers are 33 weeks old too and still not laying either lol

Back
Top Bottom