When will my welsummer start laying??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MamaHauk, Nov 17, 2016.

1. MamaHauk

MamaHauk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    She is about 35 weeks old…..still no eggs… :(
    When do welsummers usually start laying?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    She is either 1) laying somewhere not in your intended nest, 2) a male or 3) didn't come into lay prior to the shortened day light.

1) Search for a nest if your birds free range or close her up in coop for a few days and see if you get an egg.

2) Be sure of the sex.

3) Add supplemental lighting on a timer in coop. Have it turn on early morning and off after sunrise or on before they roost and off in evening. Make it so the total hours of light are more than 12 hours. Sometimes late bloomers don't come into lay then natural daylight hours are too few to stimulate them to lay until spring. Adding light so total hours are over 12 will stimulate her to start laying.

1 person likes this.
  3. MamaHauk

MamaHauk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    I'm pretty sure she's a she. She LOOKS like a hen, and has never tried mating with any of the others. Although she is a little aggressive. As far as laying somewhere else, I have been checking the yard off and on already. Haven't found anything.

4. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

It's amazing how crafty they can be when hiding a nest. And this time of year with leaves on the ground those eggs will blend in well. I'd search the most unlikely spots you would ever think of.

5. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Mine started about 21-22 weeks

6. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    What is the color of its chest?

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    4... she's laying and you don't realize out because she's not producing the expected dark egg

Pick her up and check pelvic points, vent, etc....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by