When will my Wyandottes start laying?!!

Cocos Chickens

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Hi,

I have purchased Wyandottes from Murray McMurray hatchery before and they were great egg layers. I ordered some more right at about 8 months ago from a very reputable breeder and have yet to receive any eggs. They are eating a ton, growing well and look beautiful. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to why they haven't started laying yet? I have had a heat lamp in their coop as well.

Thanks,

Nichole

Well first
welcome-byc.gif
it is great to have you join our flock
frow.gif

It sounds like them hens are more then due at that age, do you
have them in a coop or are they free ranging

Birds often stop laying when the days are so short unless they have added hours of light from artificial sources. If you are in a very cold climate that can be another reason. You may also want to check out the sub forum regarding egg laying.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Short days will often cause young birds to wait longer before starting laying. In addition, good quality breeder birds (as opposed to hatchery) are bred to produce individuals which are closer to the breed standard in looks, and not bred as much for strictly egg production. This means they may start laying at an older age, and may not produce as many eggs per week as hatchery birds - but are usually much better examples of their breed.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. X2 on 1muttsfan's information. Birds from breeders often don't lay as well as hatchery birds.

images

Often young first time layers will not lay until the following spring due to the lack of light of winter. Many adult birds don't lay well in the winter as well. Additional light may be needed to stimulate the laying during these low lighted days. However come spring, you should be up to your ears in eggs!!

Good luck with your new flock and may you be buried deep in eggs soon!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom