when will new chicks start eating

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JayBird+16, Aug 5, 2010.

1. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Hatched my first baby chicks last night, about 24 hours ago. When will they start eating? They have been drinking, but no interest in food yet. I've always gotten chicks through the mail before and they are always hungry when they come in.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Chicks don't have to eat for about 3 days after they hatch. I think they should figure it out on their own. [​IMG] The chicks in the mail probably already went through those 3 days and were probably ready to eat. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sprinkle some crumble on the floor of the brooder, then tap the floor with your index finger. That simulates a mama hen pecking and showing them how to eat. Mine usually start eating within hours after hatch, though they dont have to.

4. GeeVee

GeeVee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Sonoma County
    when our chicks were a day old, we mashed up some bread and poured water (or hemp milk for omegas) on it. While this was not necessary, the chickies went nuts over it when they saw it on our fingers. Don't worry, they are sure to figure out their food when they are hungry enough [​IMG] (within another 1-2 days i would say)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by