When will our girls start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 77horses, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    We bought 4 cute and healthy day-old chicks in around late June, 2008. Now, the pullets are still a little small, but they have adult feathers and their voices are changing! [​IMG] Two of the pullets are red stars, and the other two are buff orps.
    When do you think they will start laying eggs?
    I am guessing that the red stars will lay sooner, since they are maturing faster. Maybe will they start laying eggs in a few more weeks or less? I am really excited and i can't wait to see our girl's first eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    actually, their voices have changed! [​IMG]
    and our largest red star pullet, Cinnamon, was acting like she was gonna lay an egg yesterday(but she never did. [​IMG])

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine were hathced on MAY 21 and I expect them to start laying right around the beginning of October...which will make them about 18 - 20 weeks old which is when most hens start to lay. Good luck...don't rush them...the later they lay the more likely they will NOT Prolapse

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a red sex link too and she is getting pretty red in the face now so in a month she should for sure be laying.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sorry I had to edit my first post...I said they were hatched June 21 but they were hatched May 21.

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:red in the face? is that i sign that she will start laying? because our buff orp has a REALLY red face and she is the smallest hen. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Most pullets start laying between 5 and 6 months which means you probably have another 3 to 4 months to go before you get any eggs from them.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yup they will get really red and start squatting and mine is getting extra friendly with me and allowing me to pet her every time I go in the hen house now [​IMG]

9. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Our 2 red sexlinks chicks were bought the 4th of April. they both layed the first eggs a half hour apart the 26th of July.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OHH I hope mine lay at 16 weeks LOL If she does she is only a week away. I only have one red sex link and she is the only one who is really red in the face so far. Noticed she was getting pretty red two weeks ago. I hear that the sex links lay sooner. I do have a brown sex link too but she isn't as red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by