when will pecking of new chickens subside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Desert Chick3ns, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Desert Chick3ns

Desert Chick3ns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    I'm curious when pecking of newly introduced chickens subsides in the coop. I originally had 2 chickens in my coop: 1 roo and 1 pullet. I got 2 new pullets that are about the same age (14 weeks), but are smaller than my original 2. I kept them separate, but in eyesight of each other, for about 10 days. They have all been together in the big coop for about 4 days now, and while the pecking has slowed some, it is still more often than I thought it would be. The littler chickens tend to run around and squeal and the bigger ones still seem to be bossing them around. Will this ever calm down? Is there something I can do to help everyone get along a little bit better? I think I read somewhere that adding apple cider vinegar to their water helped calm hens down as far as pecking…anyone else heard of that or tried it?

Thanks for any help you can pass my way. I love all my chickens, but am unhappy they aren't getting along easier after 4 days...

:)

**FYI...I do have 2 food dishes and 3 water bowls, because I read on this site that those are places where "bullying" usually takes place.

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    It slows but never truly stops is what I've seen. Keeping them busy helps. I have 29 birds of varied ages and sizes.

Hang a head of cabbage so they can peck at it. Seed blocks work well too. If they get bored they'll peck more. Otherwise, once everyone knows their place, things calm down quite a bit. Crowding causes problems too. Do they have enough room?

Good luck

3. Desert Chick3ns

Desert Chick3ns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks, chikkenfriend! :>

I hung a cabbage yesterday, and they seemed a bit confused…didn't really touch it. But, I think their curiosity about it distracted them from pecking a bit. I'm going to try other veggies and see if maybe they have a preference (maybe broccoli or just a leafier lettuce). I'm also going to get a seed block. They should have plenty of room, we made sure of it when we built the coop.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by