When will ringneck hens lay?

fishkillerx

Hatching
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Enumclaw washington
I just started raising pheasant and still don't know much about them and I was wondering when do the hens start to lay eggs? I have 2 hens and some ringneck roosters with them. I also have some red golden roosters in with them would this effect their laying?

You need to take all the roosters out except for 1.If you don't your gonna have a blood bath with dead birds.A ringneck rooster will breed up to 10 hens.With only 2 hens and multiple roosters,there will be fighting(killings) then breeding.
The hens should start laying around the end of March early April.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
Will they ever set on their own eggs and raise the chicks?
if that is how they were raised then yes, other wise it needs to be bred back into them, meaning find a broody chicken, and allow her to sit on the eggs and hatch and raise them, after a couple generations they should get the hang of it!

as for laying, my pheasants used to start laying anywhewre from the end of february to the end of april, and lay through till about mid july...

That is plenty big enough for a trio.I think the more hens the better for the hens during breeding.The male would not be beating on 1 or 2 hens if you have 5 or 6 hens in there,which your pen will hold as many as you would want.
Ringnecks do require permits in all states and the state has requirements for sq ft. per bird.You would have to contact your local Fish and Game Dept to see what their requirements are.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom