1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when will roosters start crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ericz, Mar 19, 2011.

1. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    hi all,

my daughter got some bantams from mcmurray, and they added about 10 roosters to the order for warmth during shipping. they're about 5 weeks old now, and i was wondering roughly at what age will the roosters start to crow. i do not know what breed the roosters are, all i can tell you is that right now they are colored sort of like red-tail hawks, for lack of a better description

we are enjoying them all at the moment, but will have to give the roosters away once they start to make too much noise, as we live in a fairly staid suburban neighborhood.

thanks in advance,

-eric

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most breeds will start between 10 and 20 weeks. It depends a lot on the breed AND the individual. With 10 roosters, some will be more submissive and not crow till the early crowers go to freezer camp and then someone else will take over.
    I had a Jaerhon cockerel doing a full crow at 5 weeks but they are an early maturing breed. I have a Cochin that has yet to crow but he is submissive to the others. Once most of the others are gone I'm sure he will start.

3. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    interesting.... so if you have several roosters, only the dominant one(s) will crow?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In my experience with that many only 3 or 4 will crow for a while and a couple will be feeble. If they don't do it well they quit trying till the good crowers are gone. Maybe they're embarassed.

5. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    well, i can certainly undestand that!

thanks,

-eric

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by