when will roosters start crowing?

ericz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
media pa
hi all,

my daughter got some bantams from mcmurray, and they added about 10 roosters to the order for warmth during shipping. they're about 5 weeks old now, and i was wondering roughly at what age will the roosters start to crow. i do not know what breed the roosters are, all i can tell you is that right now they are colored sort of like red-tail hawks, for lack of a better description

we are enjoying them all at the moment, but will have to give the roosters away once they start to make too much noise, as we live in a fairly staid suburban neighborhood.

thanks in advance,

-eric

Most breeds will start between 10 and 20 weeks. It depends a lot on the breed AND the individual. With 10 roosters, some will be more submissive and not crow till the early crowers go to freezer camp and then someone else will take over.
I had a Jaerhon cockerel doing a full crow at 5 weeks but they are an early maturing breed. I have a Cochin that has yet to crow but he is submissive to the others. Once most of the others are gone I'm sure he will start.

In my experience with that many only 3 or 4 will crow for a while and a couple will be feeble. If they don't do it well they quit trying till the good crowers are gone. Maybe they're embarassed.

Back
Top Bottom