When will she become broody again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmom137, Jan 31, 2013.

1. chickmom137

chickmom137 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    My Splash Orphington just hatched her 1st baby Dec 28th - mixed with a RIR. Because I am new to chickens and the whole scheme of things, I didn't realize she was broody and kept collecting her eggs until the very last one she laid. The day before I thought she was upset with me for taking her egg, but I had not noticed her sitting in the nest. I decided not to collect any more eggs, and she only laid one more before she was apparently done. She has begun laying eggs again and being mommy to her chick.

My question is, approximately how long before she becomes broody again? I do not want to collect the eggs if she is. Also, what are the tell tell signs of a hen becoming broody?

Thank you for your input!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some hens tend to go broody more often than others, so it's impossible to tell if/when she'll become broody again. But signs to look for is her refusing to leave the nest box, sleeping in the nest box, spreading herself like a pancake over the eggs and "growling" at you if you remove the eggs (most of mine does this). You'll notice she'll be more puffed up than usual and many broodies also pluck the feathers from their bellies and under their breasts when they sit.

3. chickmom137

chickmom137 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by