When will she lay after broody period?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Col1948, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    I had a broody hen but I think I have broken her now, she no longer sits in the nest brooding.
    I have watched her the last few days and she is staying out of the coop with the rest of the flock, as it starts to go dark they make their own way in to the coop, she goes on the roost now and not sitting in the nest.
    When she did do that I put her on the roost and she seemed to stay there all night, during the day I had nowhere to keep her separate while the others were laying so she was in there all the time, after they had laid their eggs I took her out and closed the coop till dusk.

Anyway now she seems to be OK again but now to my question, how long before she starts to lay again?

2. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Once they are definitely not sitting anymore (usually sleeping on the roost again indicates this best), it usually takes about two weeks for my broodies to resume laying.

aart and Col1948 like this.
  3. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    Thank you.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Depends on how long she was Broody. A Hen that raised Chicks won't lay 4 to 8 weeks after the Chicks hatched.

5. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    No she never raised chicks, she was broody for about 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: