when will she lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elly, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Elly

Elly In the Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    We got a new hen last week from a local Minnonite. She is about 24 weeks. I was told that she had already started to lay. She was a little skittish when we first got her, but has made a total turn around and is so friendly and sweet now. We have her seperated from the others with a laying box in it, but so far no eggs. I know that stress can cause them to stop laying,but how long can it take before she starts again.

I so want to have my first egg !!!![​IMG]

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    Mine are about the same age. They started laying earlier this month and I was getting eggs daily. Then they stopped. I finally atributed it to taking 2 of my 3 roos out of the run because they were so rowdy. The ladies went on strike.
    I bet it is just the change of environment. She'll come thru any day now and you will be sooooo proud when she does.

3. Elly

Elly In the Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I hope so...it is worse then Christmas !!!! waiting for that first egg. My pullets are about 19 weeks and like I said this last girl we picked up was laying...unless they weren't telling the truth...[​IMG]

It is funny because right now I'm working days and will check the nest boxs before I leave and then my two daughters check them during the day and then when I come home they get checked again...maybe it is like a watched pot that never boils...a watched laying box never gets an egg:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: