1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will she lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jklyles1, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Anyone want to take a guess on when this girl will lay her first egg?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She is much redder in the face and her comb has grown quite a bit.

2. flirty31

flirty31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    As a newbie, I have NO IDEA! But perhaps while we're taking bets, someone would like to wager on when my ladies will start laying?

[​IMG]

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have a hen that just started to get her comb in and red...and I'm still waiting on her to start...mine is a buff orp, and when we got her she had no comb at all, and now she has a small red comb, so hopefully soon. I have found a couple of eggs that might actually be hers, but I can't be sure. I just find it unlikely that every once in awhile it would almost seem that my leghorn lays one big and one smaller egg. I have been assuming that my hen in waiting has been leaving small eggs here and there, perhaps once a week or so...I'm hoping she'll really start soon.

4. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    This evening when i went to put the chickens to bed the one in the pictures above was singing what sounded like the egg song!! She has never done that before. I didnt find an egg anywhere and she ended up getting up on the roost and going to sleep. What does this mean?? Is she just practicing?

5. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    I have a hen who has been staying in the nesting box for what seems like a very long time, to the point one of my other hens has to chase her out of the nesting box to use it.. I do hope that since the days are getting longer and warmer thst I. Soon will have all my hens laying.. I told my husband the reason she was in there so much was she was practicing.

6. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I have a leghorn that screeches terribly everytime she is laying an egg...so I always know when it has happened. It doesn't sound like a song to me...Lol. She does lay really big eggs, but my other chickens are silent layers, or rather just a few little bobobobobock bock bock...quietly...but not the Leghorn...You can hear it all the way in the house...she is just as noisy as the roosters. The first few times I would dash to the coop thinking terrible was happening, but it is just her leaving me a huge egg. Awesome egg layer, it's no joke. I have a Buff Orpington that took her sweet time laying her first, but man she's making up for lost time. The eggs have been getting larger and rounder and darker. The first egg, was of a normal size, and a light brown, but her next egg (about a week later) was big and brown, and I've been getting a really big brown egg everyday since...of course that has only been for 4 days, but we've been waiting and waiting for her to start so I'm pretty excited. I have 4 bantam(?) barnyard mixes (they are way smaller than LF, but not as small as bantams, at least I don't think they are. One of them is what I think of as bantam sized, the others are in between) getting ready to start. They're just starting to grow in and redden their combs.

7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    It might not mean anything. Sometimes my chickens will chill in the nest boxes for no reason. Perhaps when they just want to get away from the other chickens...But it is a good sign when a pullet starts visiting the nest. I always feel like they are contemplating laying while they are in there trying on the nest.

8. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I think she finally did it!!! Here is an egg we found this morning next to our Barred Rock egg from yesterday. I'll know for sure if i get another brown from the barred rock today!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  9. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Nevermind...I already told you guys my Orp finally started to truly lay.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. flirty31

flirty31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Oh my goodness, congrats! This gives me hope that my girls might finally start!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by