1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will she lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrOrpington16, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    My barred rock that I adopted( I don't know how old she is, they said she was a pullet) is not laying yet. I have had her for a month and a half and her face got very red and her comb/wattles are large. When do you think she will lay? How long do you think it will be? She is not squatting and is very hard to catch, but I have heard that some may never squat... I do not have a rooster! Thank you so much!!!!:D

[​IMG]
    Now!!
    ![​IMG]

Before!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Should be laying soon! The squatting, reddening of the comb/wattles, and growth of the comb are generally signs that egg production is near. Of course, all chickens are different--some lay before their faces/combs are red, and other take ages to start laying even with gigantic combs and wattles.

1 person likes this.
  3. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA

She hasn't been squatting ... I was wondering if she will squat in a week or two or Maybe she won't squat and just lay eggs?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Oh, sorry, I misread your original post. My mind thought "is squatting". Even if she doesn't squat, she'll probably still start laying soon. With several of my hens, they didn't begin squatting until after they began laying, and some didn't squat at all.

1 person likes this.
  5. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    Thank you!!!:D

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm guessing that she will begin laying within a few weeks. The comb and wattles look red and large enough for a pullet coming into lay. A few days before she begins laying, you'll probably see her investigating nest boxes. Soon, she should also begin squatting.

1 person likes this.
  7. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA

Thank you!!! I'm hoping two to three more weeks till she lays:)

8. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    She started squatting 6 days ago!! The nesting box was all messed up .. so maybe she was investigating??

9. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

[​IMG]she will be laying within the next week!

1 person likes this.
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I bet she'll start laying very soon! Keep us updated! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by