1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when will she lay??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrOrpington16, Nov 9, 2013.

1. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    So I let my pullets out yesterday and my barred rock squatted when I went to pick her up... I was surprised because she runs like the wind when I get close to her... She only did it that one time and I am wondering if that was the egg squat? She did not do it today but she is a dominant chicken.. her face is very red and is the most mature.. I switched her feed today to all flock because I have younger chickens. I put oyster shells out for her if she needs more calcium. Was this the egg squat and when is she going to lay? will switching the feed affect her? She also is very noisy!! She roars at me!! Is this the post egg song? It sound like a loud URRRRRR.. URRRR!

2. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    How old is she? Squatting is also a sign of submission. She thinks your the boss. But, it doesn't tend to start until they are close to laying. It's a sign of maturing.

3. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    I adopted her from a shelter 2 1/2 months ago and they did not tell me how old she was.. I guess she was about 2 1/2 to 3 months.. She is very dominant over the hens and is the loudest.... she is much easier to pick up now then three days ago... She put her wings out and crouched when i went near her... she has a very red face and large comb and wattles.. My profile picture is pic of her when I adopted her..

This was her two weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    Why does she make that loud roaring sound??

5. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Chickens make lots of vocalizations. It just takes time to know what they want and sometimes they just yell for no real apparent reason.

If she is head hen she may be telling everyone that she may be squatting for you but that no one else better get any ideas :)

6. B-Goock

B-Goock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2013
    southern indiana
    LOL Mine did the same thing. I remembered them doing that squat and foot patter when I was a kid. They would do that so the roosters didn't knock them over when they were mounted. Your hen is probably pretty much ready to lay or already laying eggs then. When she does that squat pat her back for a second then stop and she'll hop up, ruffle all her feathers, and shake off. Pretty comical. It may encourage her to lay since she's been "fertilized" so to speak or at least she thinks so.

A friend of mine at work that I influenced to get chickens asked the same question about the squat thing. He didn't grow up on a farm so had no idea what they were doing. I had to tease him since he doesn't have any roosters. He's the rooster in their eyes! LOL He's a big chicken. About 6'5" and 250 lbs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by