When will she resume laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arztwolf, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    My Buff Orp, Biscuit, hatched a clutch of eggs at the end of June. I'm just wondering when can I expect her to start production again, she is a really good layer and, when not broody, lays a good sized egg everyday.

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    My Buffs haven't started laying yet but my Bard Rocks have. One went broody and she hatched 3 of them. She was one of my best layers but quit until her chicks were a few weeks old. She's laying again but she took her time about it. Raising chicks took a lot out of her since any food she found she would take to her babies. Maybe yours is being a good momma and doing the same. It did seem like forever for her to start laying but she did.

Best of luck

1 person likes this.
  3. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    She is a great mom, but I think they are starting to get on her nerves. I put out extra treats for them since the minute she starts walking towards a food item, the brood will swarm and devour it. I watched them reduce a small apricot to a pit in less then a minute![​IMG]

4. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Yes, she will tire of them. Ours was a momma for about 8 weeks. Then she cut them loose and THEN started laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by