When will she show them to eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by magicpigeon, Dec 31, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    My silkies just hatched today [​IMG]
    Anyway, they haven't eaten or drunk yet and It's pretty hot out there. I'm worried they'll dehydrate but my hen's in the middle of a forest and I'm thinking of moving her in a couple of days when I'm sure all the eggs have hatched. When do the chicks need to drink? Thanks [​IMG]

*nervous from the poo fumes and scorching heat, LOL. excuse my terseness ^^*

2. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    I have the same question...

HOT? Where the heck are you? Must be southern hemisphere...!

3. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    That's true! I'm located in Australia [​IMG]

4. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    My broody hatched two and then we had to wait two days for the second two chicks to hatched. On the second day, I dipped both chicks' beaks in the water and gave them their first drink. Momma seemed otherwise occupied to teach that lesson. From that point on, they drank on their own.

Once all were hatched, she showed them where and what to eat. I made sure they had food and water close.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They go 72 hours without food or drink all the time when hatcheries ship them. Well, they're not going without at all, they're living off the yolk. It's part of their instinct, to stay a while, then get up and get the chicks eating and drinking. Not that they always do things perfectly.... but I won't interfere for at least 48 hours, and so far have not had to.

6. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Well, I've just put out a small tray of water and starter crumble. Ma's still waiting for 4 eggs to hatch (9 out so far!) but has shown the chicks to eat. No drinking yet thought one curious fella decided to jump in and bathe. [​IMG] I'll get a pic sometime [​IMG]

7. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    I have 4/5 hatched, with the last pipping! SOOOO excited. Mama was UNhappy with me disturbing her nest to give Marek's, but...
    [​IMG]

I put food and water (baby-sized) near them, and her food is up higher. Do they need beak dipping, or will they find it? Mama will have my head, i fear...

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can relax and let mama do her thing, or you can dip their beaks so you will feel better. Either way, they'll probably do fine. And maybe if you mess with them, mama will learn to accept you just a little better.

9. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    I didn't have to teach mine to drink but I suspect I was just lucky [​IMG] One of the chicks decided to follow my hand in, and Ma didn't show them. I suppose if one knows, they all will [​IMG]

10. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    So, my cochin is...well, a very serious mama, you know what I mean? We're at 48 hours, and so far she hasn't moved, except to rearrange the chicks under her... I just dropped some pellets, kale, and scratch within her (head) reach, and she growled at me, but gobbled up the food. chicks peeping away under all those feathers!

The chicks would have to move about 1 foot to get to their food. Mama has to walk 3ft. Just let them be?? I hate to disturb mama, but will the chicks find the food and water? Or will they find it once mama gets up and starts moving around?

Thanks for putting up with the first-time-broody-hatch questions! [​IMG]

magicpigeon, how are yours doing?? Isn't this exciting!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by