1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

when will she sit?!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by xxnativewolfxx, Jan 21, 2014.

1. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chirping

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    I have a goose that has a nest underneath our nesting boxes in our coop and she keeps burying her eggs under hay in total she has laid 6 eggs but my broody turkey has claimed 2 of them the other night and she some how got 2 of her eggs into her nest with her turkey eggs but the goose is a buff Toulouse and its pretty cold here but she just burries them until night fall then she sits and I guess lays another one but its going to get in the single Dijet's here and I was wondering will they be alright? and when she does sit how long until they hatch? because of our turkey also sitting on goose and turkey eggs will the geese hatch before the turkeys or will the turkeys eggs hatch first? I plan on takeing the chicks away from the turkey anyway because she is a good incubator but not such a good mother! and its mid winter!

2. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Its not the brightest idea to let your turkey and goose set together and my geese start brooding when there is around 12 eggs ! I dont know much about buff toulouse but i dont think they are the best at brooding ,
    Oh! how old is your toulouse is important!

3. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Songster

Goodness, what a mess. Goose and turkey eggs are much the same time, maybe 2 extra days for geese..that´s all. So is the turkey already incubating the goose eggs that she stole? It would probably cause ructions if you leave them together, assuming the goose goes broody,and you could well lose the lot. If the turkey´s already brooding, can you move her to a different location? It´s reasonably easy to do at night, then box her in for a day or so with water, she´ll get used to the new place and then you can take any youngsters that hatch as and when. If the turkey´s not yet brooding, so much easier...put her in a box separately for a few days to break her broodiness, and let the goose get on with it...
    Or, if the goose doesn´t go broody, then let the turkey get on with it...birds like to create problems, don´t they?!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chirping

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    well the funny thing is that the turkey is sitting on her eggs out side about 100 feet in a plastic container box that I made for her when she laid her eggs outside so there not together at all lol I have tried moveing the turkey into our barn because she is most vulnerable from the cold but she wouldn't have it at all! but as foor the goose she is a year old shes young this would be her first time laying so fingers crossed I know im going to take the chicks from the turkey but do you think the goose will do all right with this cold weather and all? or should I take them as well?

5. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Begginer geese with their first batch tend to be very clumsey ,but if see does hatch them you can leave the goslings with her but keep a eye on her alot :) do you have a gander?!

6. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Songster

Crazy turkey! Geese do ok in cold weather, they originate in Europe and Asia. The goose has very dense down and it keeps the gozzies nice and warm.
    Turkeys come from Central America, so are better in warmer conditions. Crazy turkey! [​IMG]

7. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chirping

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    I figured that they would so I most deff will be keeping a eye on them and yes I have a male and female

8. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Ok :D your gonna love goslings

9. xxnativewolfxx

xxnativewolfxx Chirping

Feb 23, 2013
    central PA
    well not a single one of the goose eggs are fertile!!! not a single one!!!!! its rather upsetting!!! I managed to get her off the nest for a sec (wasn't easy! she is very scarey!!) and I candled them like 4 mins ago and nothing and im pretty shure I have a male and female cuz the other goose is sticking by her so idk If I recall correctly I never really saw them breeding but then again I never see my turkeys breed either BUT I just candled the turkey eggs and there fertile there almost ready to come out! but my geese are young! is this sort of thing normal? or do you think I have to girls! and its to late for me to get fertile eggs because its been a while im worried that if I do that then she will sit on them for a couple more weeks and then get up! so idk what to do anybody have advice? should I look for a gander just in case?

10. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Songster

Hi Nativewolf, I wouldn´t look for a gander, just in case you actually do have a pair there. Turkeys are easy to tell, of course, and a couple of female geese will also stick really close, and one will mount the other too, so that doesn´t mean they´re a pair. You need to listen to them and watch their carriage to see if you have a pair. Infertile eggs doesn´t mean they´r not a pair if it´s the first time for breeding. And if a goose is broody, it´s usually quite difficult to break her of it, so you may be fine in putting a few fertile eggs under her if you can get hold of them soon. She´ll happily sit on three, it´s not expensive, worth giving it a go?
    I had one that sat for over a month on her own eggs, nothing hatched, so I took them away, and then she sat two weeks on her own feet! What got her off her nest was her sister´s eggs hatched out, so she decided to be auntie. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by