When will she start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andreanar, Mar 16, 2018.

1. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I brought 2 bantam cochins into my flock last August. They were both laying well, they were born last spring. One of the new littles was broody when I took her in. A few of my flock gave them a rough time for awhile. They are still lowest in peck order. Anyhow, she stopped laying in late September, and still hasn't restarted. The other one layed the whole time and just now started a small molt and quit laying. I got them to be broodies for me. I understand they can quit laying for awhile after being moved, but this is a pretty long time. Any ideas on whats up with her?
    co3.jpg

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are they?

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Mine did this,they were born fairl late in year though (Probably about late September or fairly middle of October),Started laying prob March,sometime during spring.Quit as we came into fall,molted and etc and started back spring,give them some time,I would guess they would stay pretty soon.
    We’re they young last year?

4. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    They are 1.5 yrs old

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range...hidden nests maybe?
    Do you use supplemental lighting?
    Some are just not prolific layers, not sure about bantam cochins.

6. andreanar

andreanar Crowing

May 16, 2014
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I semi free range. They have 1.5 acres fenced in and I let them out of that too sometimes. But with all the snow, the little ones haven't left their enclosed run.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: