When will she start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by F.M.C, Dec 14, 2009.

1. F.M.C

F.M.C New Egg

Dec 13, 2009
    Hi. We have a hen whch is abt 4 or 5 months old, when will she start laying eggs? We also have some bantams of a similar age. When will they start laying? There is a cock with them as well. We will post some pics later than maybe someone could say what breed the rest are. But for now its just the eggs that we are waiting for! Thank you.

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    My Barr Rocks started laying between 22 and 27 weeks. They started out with very small eggs (almost like large bird eggs) but how the eggs have grown in sized to Jumbo after about a year.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Anywhere from 4months to 8months. It depends on the breed of chicken and the individual. Since it's late in the year many that aren't laying yet won't start until spring even if that means they'll be a few months older than they would have laid at.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    If you don't have a light on in your coop, then they will probably not start until spring. They need around 14 hours or so of light to lay.

5. F.M.C

F.M.C New Egg

Dec 13, 2009
    Thanks for the replies! So we can expect her to start anytime now...
    We think she is a plymouth rock. Btw, we are in namibia (Africa) and it is mid summer here. The Temperature today is 36 'c.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by