When will she start laying . . . . ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Arielle, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    WHen do ducks start laying???

It's still very cold here in Mass, about 40 day temps and night can be 25-30 usually. Sunrise about 6:30 and down about 5. Day length is increasing!! yeah!

I'd like to know so I can make sure the girls have their own place to lay and I can find the eggs. I learned from chickens, they lay were ever they feel comfortable and it isn't always in a nest box. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    How old are your ducks? There really isnt any time other than " as spring approaches" that can accurately predict when a mature may start laying.
    Ducks also tend to lay eggs anywhere so you may have to look at your management of them to ensure you are finding their eggs. Making sure they are not let out for the day until they have laid may be one way you can make sure you can find eggs once laid.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    What breed are you yours? My first set started laying at 4mths.. they are Muscovy.. I now have 5 hens and there always seems to be someone laying an egg lol despite it being winter.. i think it depends a bit on the hen though.. some of mine i don't think have laid yet but of coarse they don't tell me [​IMG]

MOST of my eggs are laid in the barn in the straw "nests" that the hens have made but now and again somebody lays one outside in some random place.. Ground anyone [​IMG] I had one hen in the warmer days last year who kept laying them in the pools! [​IMG] but as they have grown up they seem to be getting the idea that the barn is the better place... hopefully that trend continues. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THe 2 musovey hens are still pretty young-- hatched in mid-late AUg 2011. About 4-5 months now. I did wonder if I may benefit by penning them up for a while while they learn where to lay. For 2 hens that grew up together, will they need 2 nest boxes? Or give them a coop large enough to pull together their own nest?

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Laying in the winter is amazing. Despite the low level of light and the cold. Definitely a hen to have if you are looking for eggs. Perhaps mine will start laying as the day length increases a bit more and the temps warm up. Our winter has been very cloudy this year; not like last winter when it snowed and then the sun quickly shone. Lots of cloudy days this winter. ANd much more rain than snow.

Laying in a pool??? Really?? WIll definitely watch for that as mine have a childs sandbox as a pool. THey might not use the pool for laying but find another odd place to hide the eggs. It's a hen thing.

Thanks for the info.

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I know my owned from day olds started at 4mths as at that time they were my only hens, awhile ago i added 3 more and some of them are laying to so now it's harder to tell who is doing what.

I hated when they laid the eggs in the pool, meant i had to dump it.. back then our temps were insane wicked hot... so they'd almost bake in the pool [​IMG] Our sunny days have been hit an miss to.. i have no explanation.. some of these girls are just happy little egg layers lol It's surprised me.. i have eggs coming out of well.. everywhere.. all 5 start laying each day and i am gonna croak.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My girls don't even have nest boxes.. i have this shelf in the back of the barn and under it i stuff straw, they have made nests under there.. and they share... but i have no idea if all ducks will do this.. mine have all been raised together... 2 of the hens from day olds.. the rest came from a breeder @ 5-6mths and have then been later raised with my original girls.

Then as i said i get some hen that decides the ground will do (they free range) one was totally frozen on the ground.. dog ate that one [​IMG]

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I am definitely finding ducks and chickens and turkeys are not a simple as I had thought. If you want all the eggs, they need to be penned, or the eggs are laid wherever the hen likes. Free ranging may not always be the best method for me. But with the pool available at all times, my hen might just copy your hen!! WIll try to introduce any new young ones to the older group asap. THanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by