When will the bullying stop??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixie74943, Dec 2, 2009.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    My little ISA has been in with the older pair for over a month and they still peck her whenever they can. They dont chase her around the pen anymore, but she's looking ragged.

I'm tempted to take out one of the older girls, and let my ISA and Aussie become friends. However, I have no where to put her. (working on that).

How long do you think the bullying will go on? I was considering making her a saddle until they stop pecking, since most of the pecking is on her lower back.

Any other thoughts? They have 2 feeders, and 1 waterer. Hanging seedblock, treats every morning, straw scattered on the ground. There is enough space, and plenty of 'toys', so I dont think its boredom, just plain old bullying and being mean.

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My girls have been here since July and there is two that still peak, pick on the smallest Ameraucana. She is on the bottom of the peaking order and I guess they will alway do it.. I will be reading this to find out if I can do more...Dixie

3. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    anyone else??

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Most likely it will lessen somewhat over time, but as long as she is on the bottom then they are going to peck her. Welcome to the world of chickens.

Hey, at least they didn't eat her! (Trust me, if they thought they could they would: a chickens favorite food is chicken). saladin

5. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I took my bully's out and put them in another large
    covered run for about 3 weeks....when i put them back
    in they were much better. I had to wait until they were
    all the same size.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I have been fortunate in that dept with my 24. With that many, I am pleasantly surprised. I do have one runt barred rock that is a cripple with a limp. She gets extra care and I pick her up to hand feed her treats because she cannot muscle her way into the pack with a bad leg. I did see on two occasions that a golden comet was pecking her repeatedly while on the roost at lights-out-lockdown time. Both times I reached up and swatted the offender behind her head and down she went to the floor and then I killed the lights for the night. I figured she could just stay on the floor overnight with her attitude. I have not seen that happen since and it was 6 weeks ago. I have not seen it out in the run. I have around 75 -80 sq ft per bird in the run tho so it is really roomy. The smaller the run, the more likely it is to happen. Then again, you may just have a natural bully. It may go away when the other one gets bigger. [​IMG]

7. South Hill Chickens

South Hill Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    With this talk of separating the bullies (which certainly can work, by the way) keep in mind that a pecking order is a perfectly natural and instinctual behavior for chickens. If you take the bottom-rung chicken out, someone else will just become the bottom. Taking the bully out sometimes helps, especially in cases where that bully is an unsual bully and not just the normal "I'm the biggest chicken in the run" variety. But another chicken will always take their place, and may start bullying when they never did before.

I find that when my girls are picking on Stripes (the uncontested bottom of our pecking order) there is often some sort of stress increase involved. For example, one of my hens (and I haven't caught the bugger yet) likes to poop all over the feeder now and then. If I don't catch it right away the others get all put out about their lack of food and the picking starts. Similarly, if that darn neighborhood cat has been around again Stripes tends to get the worse end of their stress.

Make sure their run is large enough, their litter is clean-ish, and they have plenty of food/water. I also find that Stripes complains loudly when they pick on her and often I can go out and "stare them down," at which point they stop picking on her for a while.

Good luck. As with anything with chickens, there is no magic solution. [​IMG]

8. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:Only problem with my pecking order is its the two top chickens, and they wont let Ginger join the family. She's a bit battered [​IMG]

I do have problems occasionally when the only food they have left is the stuff they dont like... Thinking about getting ANOTHER feeder (That'll make it a feeder each), so I can have 2 different sources with pellets in one and farmer food in the other, as well as oyster shell

9. Chicken-Man

Chicken-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    I got a new 13 week old island red and has got sick from all the pecking. Her eyes have clear liquid bubbles on her eye balls and when she flicks her head sticky liquid comes out. I also got a 15-20 week old silkie at the same time who every now and then has a peck at the island red (phoenix) but the silkie (Shadow) is usually pretty good with Phoenix. but my other 3 hens will e so so violent to them both when ever they can especially to phoenix. I have seen just little pecks to jumping ontop and going all put brutal. It scares me and the poor little Red. Shadow and phoenix live in a separate cage to my other girls (the bullies) but when they roam or when they can they just bully. I really really need to stop this ASAP or I may need to give the two vicums back (and I have only had them for 2 days and I cant give them back easily after tod. Tomorrow is the dead line. So its either slow down and eventually stop all bullying or I have to say good bye to my so loved girls.... PLEASE!! I am desperate for help and answers!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your Red bird isn't sick from being pecked, she's just sick. Your current birds are probably pecking on her BECAUSE she's sick, it's their nature to drive illness from the flock. Unfortunately, all your other birds are now exposed to whatever she brought to your flock. I'd return all the birds you got ASAP and post her symptoms on the Emergencies/Diseases section, so folks can advise you on how to monitor and potentially treat your current birds.

In the future you need to consider quarantining all birds you bring to your property. Don't get birds from this same seller ever again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by