When will the eggs come

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MKLaughlin, Sep 25, 2015.

1. MKLaughlin

MKLaughlin Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    Iowa
    Our chickens are 21 weeks old we have 2 roos and 19 hens. This past week or so the dominant roo started trying to mate with the hens. Some of the girls will let him and some fight and scream bloody murder. If they are letting him on them does it mean they are gonna start laying soon? I have been keeping them in so if they start laying I can find the eggs.

2. goofychickens

goofychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

21 weeks? Probably soon. Yes I'm pretty sure the matings are a sign of sexual maturity but pretty much the best answer is to wait and let nature take its course. If the pullets are stressed into laying they may get prolapse which is basically more work for you.
    -Goofy

3. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

They will start laying anywhere between 22 weeks and 25 weeks. Chickens mature at a different rate. Some may lay sooner and some later.

Hope this helped!:cool:

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, the submission to mating indicates sexual maturity and you should see eggs soon.

Good idea to keep them confined at onset of lay to habituate them to laying in coop nests,
    provided you have a plenty big enough coop and run so as not to crowd them.
    Crowding stress can deter onset of lay....so can over-mating by a randy young cockerel(s) if the pullets cannot get away from him.

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying, spreading the bedding everywhere.They will scratch around a bit less in nest as they get used to the routine. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
    Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
    Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

5. MKLaughlin

May 27, 2015
    Iowa
    [​IMG]
    Look what I found this morning!!! Pretty eggs! Finally got some eggs! I am soo happy feels like I have Ben waiting forever.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WooHOOOOO!!

7. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

:thumbsup

8. simplify

simplify Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    P1

9. simplify

simplify Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2015
    I am very egg cited, one of my 3 bo pullets laided her first egg yesterday, second pullet today. Omg what a noise, not only was she cackleing but one of the other pullets was making as much noise with no trying to lay an egg herself so I think her day is near at hand. Actually, the whole flock of 3 females and 2 males all got worked up. Guess they will all get into a laying grove. Want to thank everyone for all the post w so much info that was acurate for my breed. Age to start laying... check, nest box with fake egg...check, time of day to lay ( before 11am) check. All the way back to trying to guess who was a roo or pullet. I plan to increase my flock (no surprise to all you im sure) the spring of 2016 with welsummer breed .

10. MKLaughlin

May 27, 2015
    Iowa
    [​IMG]
    This is what I found today!
    [​IMG]
    And this is howmany we have so far! The wyandottes must have started laying too, now I just have to wait to see what the mystery chickens lay.
    So excited! XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by