When will the others start laying????

Attila

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Douglas, MA
I have 3 barred rocks, and 3 buffs that are 34 weeks old. I also have 3 silkies that are 27 weeks old.

The 3 barred rocks, 2 of the buff's and 1 silkie are all laying eggs.

My question is: Is this normal for the others to not have started laying yet where the others are the same age and are laying?

Thanks
Attila

Silkies are notorious for starting to lay when they feel like it, so for them it is not unusual. Hens do mature at different rates so it is possible for one to lay way later than her age mates of the same breed. It she has delayed starting till the days have shortened then the gap can be large.

If you need her to lay before spring you will need to provide more light preferably in the early AM.

We have a Wellsummer, born 4/1/12 who didn't lay before the light changed this fall and I don't expect her to lay until spring since I don't supplement light.

I always want to know how you all know who is laying or not. Are you going by the number of eggs a day? Are you watching all day? I would never know who is laying for sure. If you are waiting to get the an egg from every chicken in one day, you may have a long wait.

I always want to know how you all know who is laying or not.  Are you going by the number of eggs a day?  Are you watching all day?  I would never know who is laying for sure.  If you are waiting to get the an egg from every chicken in one day, you may have a long wait.

I remember reading somewhere on here that you can put a bit of food coloring in the hen's vent (different color for each hen), the food coloring will mark the egg and you can tell who laid it.

Something to consider when I am checking to see which hen layed which eggs is that different breeds lay different colored/sized eggs. So, this helps to narrow it down a bit, but isn't guaranteed of course.

But, if they are all the same breed then it can be a lot harder.

Back
Top Bottom