When will the predators learn to stay away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TCollier, Oct 27, 2010.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Well so far I have shot 4 coons 3 possums and 2 coyotes in the last month. When will they learn my yard is not a safe place?
    This one was a very healthy young male about 48 lbs. Not so healthy any more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    :barnieARRRRGGGGG Never touch the mouth withyour hands!!!!!!! RABIES !!!!! We have to vacinate our horses yearly because we have our hands in their spit putting on the bridle. That is how rabies is transmitted, spit. Even if you dog or cat has a current rabies shot and they get in a fight with a wild animal you should get it boosted just to be safe. It takes time before symptyms show. Keep yourself safe as well as your live stock. BTW good shot.

3. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Hit it at 100 yards on the run. Using a .308 custom built rifle. Rabies will only hurt if it gets in your blood stream. Plus I washed my hands immediately after the pics.

4. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Do you shoot in competition?

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

As long as they are hungry and they think they can get to your critters, They wont stop coming.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    looks like an older one the way them teeth are wore down, folks would be surprised all the critters that do not have rabies

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Yup, they'll never learn to stay away. Buy more ammo.

We trapped/dispatched approximately 60 raccoons in the last year and 80 possums, and they still keep coming. We also caught an armadillo (released him), the neighbor's cat twice (released him), and our own chickens twice, until we learned not to have the traps set during the day.

8. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    People would be surprised at how many that HAVE rabies. If you work at a vet you have to be vaccinated for rabies. That is why I quit, after 10 years, it really hurts me, not everyone is sensitive, but boy I am. OOOWWWWWcccchhhh.
    In NC they don't even do an necropsy on a dead wild animal unless it has come in contact with human or pet. If it is a bat and dead they assume rabid.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The short answer: Only 4 coons, 3 possums and 2 coyotes won't be back--the rest will.

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Not the short answer. Here I'll give the short answer.

Never.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by