when will their eggs get big enough to sell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phaethona, Aug 17, 2010.

1. phaethona

phaethona Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by my post!

This is my 1st year raising my 10 hens, they're all supposed to be great layers(prod. reds, RIR and leghorn) We got our first egg 3 weeks ago, and I know for sure that there are 4 layers out of the 10 hens so far. I get 1-3 eggs per day(it really seems like I should be getting more)
    All of our eggs have been small. I know they're supposed to start small and get bigger, but I thought we'd at least see a little improvement in size in three weeks [​IMG]
    how long should it normally take from the time they first start laying till the eggs get large enough to sell?

thanks!

2. phaethona

phaethona Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    anyone?

[​IMG]

3. TwoChicks

TwoChicks Songster

Feb 9, 2010
    Greer, SC
    Im bumping this topic cause I'd like to know too.

I have 19 hens (and 5 banty hens) that will be laying soon. One EE has already given me 3 small green eggs, but the others haven't started yet. Just curious.

4. BoerneChickens

BoerneChickens Songster

Mar 3, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I read that pullet eggs (under a year old) are typically smaller, and once they are "hens" (over a year) the eggs are full size. Can anyone confirm this?

5. CricketYang

CricketYang Songster

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Hens under a year usually lay "medium" sized eggs. You can sell them as that or just keep them for yourself. They'll get bigger after their first molt when they're about 18 mos or so, depending on the breed.

6. phaethona

phaethona Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:I hope it doesn't take a year!
    The eggs I'm getting so far this month are about 1/2 to 1/3 the size I'm guessing they should be. I'm really hoping to get some bigger ones soon, I've got a few "customers" (friends) who've been watching the progress since the girls were babies, they're getting a little anxious now that we're getting eggs

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

First of all, look up the breed chart to see what size eggs are typical for your breeds. Some breeds are only known for small or medium eggs, while others commonly lay large/jumbo eggs. Other than my wyandotte, who STILL lays a smallish egg, it took several months for my girls to consistantly lay larger eggs. I had a few double yolkers those first 2 months or so, and nary a one since then [​IMG] But at least the egg sizes are stable now.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sell as pullet/mediums and charge less. Increase the price as the size increases.

9. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i notice that my leghorns eggs are getting bigger after a month but they are still a small to med size.
    laura

10. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    If I am remembering correctly I believe when my BR's starting laying at the end of Jan begining of Feb it took a month or two before they were all consistently laying larger eggs.

Missi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by