When will they bunk together? THEY DID IT!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrbstephens, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 adult hens in a large hen house and 6 pullets in a small house (more like a brooder) and they share a run. They're getting more and more used to each other, but still not totally mingling. The pullets stay on their side and the hens on theirs. For several nights in a row the pullets tried to roost in the larger hen house for the night, but were all kicked out by Freda, the head hen. I added an extra roost thinking that would make it easier for them, but they seem to have given up and the pullets are stuffing themselves in the small house for the night. They're really too big for it and should move into the big hen house. I was hoping they'd work it out on their own, but I think I may have to push them a little. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You could try a couple things. Try putting the pullets on the roost at night. Then they will wake up together. or pull the hens out of the coop, shaking things up.

Good luck
    Imp

3. mrbstephens

Quote:Hmmm. I'd be worried the pullets will get hurt if they're in the coop with the hens. I'd have to get up at the crack of dawn to let them out. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

4. mrbstephens

I just let the chickens out to free range and locked up the pullet's small house. I took their food out and put it in the large hen house. I'm basically forcing them to choose between sleeping in the large hen house or sleeping outside tonight. Think it'll work???

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:They might just sleep outside.

I misunderstood your first post. Thought you were trying to force the integration. You are correct that they may hurt the pullets especially if there is a size difference. If you think there is a chance of that, I think I'd let them integrate slowly. The small house should be OK. Cosy is OK at night.

Good luck

Imp

6. mrbstephens

Quote:They might just sleep outside.

I misunderstood your first post. Thought you were trying to force the integration. You are correct that they may hurt the pullets especially if there is a size difference. If you think there is a chance of that, I think I'd let them integrate slowly. The small house should be OK. Cosy is OK at night.

Good luck

Imp

Well, I waited for nightfall and put the pullets in with the hens. I'll get up super early tomorrow to let them out.

7. kakayona

kakayona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Stratford
    And???[​IMG]

8. mrbstephens

Quote:Oh. Well. The pullets were chirping and freaking out trying to get into their little house for the night. It was sad really. Then they started getting comfortable in the dirt in a corner of the run. I waited till it was almost dark and put them on the roost in the big hen house. One at a time. There was some pushing and shoving and squawking, but after about 10 minutes they all quieted down and went to sleep. I had my DH wake me up at 6:00 am this morning to let them out. I didn't want them to be trapped in there with the older hens for too long in case the hens decided to bully them. I went out there expecting to hear squawking, but it was as quiet as can be. I let them out and they reluctantly left the hen house. They're not used to being let out earlier than 7:00 am.
    I'm now waiting to see what they'll do tonight...........

9. mrbstephens

4 of the 6 pullets were all cozy on the roost until Freda went in there and kick every one of them out again. [​IMG] So, again, I had to put each one back on the roost when it was almost totally dark. What a pain! I hope I don't have to do this every night! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you should take Frieda out for 2-3 days(at night) and put her in the pullet coop alone. She might come down a peg or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by