1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will they cluck?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsruvi, Jun 2, 2011.

1. mrsruvi

mrsruvi Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
    i have no clue how old my chicks are. I guess 4 weeks. but when do they start clucking instead of peeping? heres a picture if you'd like to guess their ages for me

[​IMG]

That lighter brown one in the middle was the same size as the darker brown one when we got them, but now the dark brown one is much bigger and more feathered. I'd worry shes a roo except the barred rocks (not pictured) are similarly feathered (except for that collar thing which i dont think they get)

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    a full body shot would help greatly...
    But Crowing varies as much as the breeds do. I have seen as early as 6 weeks, and then again have seen a 3 month old not crow til later....so there is really no good answer that I know of...start watching and listening for their voice to crack

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd guess they're closer to 3 weeks than 4 because of the minimal chest feathering.

As for clucking, I'm just starting to hear some vocal experimentation from my 8-week olds but they still peep. I think it's a gradual change.

4. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    Braaaaa cluck cluck cluck

5. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Mine are alomst six weeks old (3 BR and 3 RIR) and they are starting to cluck a little. They still peep most of the time but the clucks are showing up a little more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by