When will they get their Drake feather?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I have 5 Mutt ducklings i got from the neighbor. They're getting older now and their tails are starting to feather in. What's the general age that mallard-derived ducks get their drake feathers? They're starting to get their voices now and it sounds like Maybe 2 girls, definitely 1..the voice-sexing method has been proven good many times in the past for me, but they're still young, about 5 weeks old.

I am so used to my Muscovies that I have gone all retarded when it comes to other breeds, lol.

Usually when you finally fall in love with one specific duckling - then it will get the curl.
tongue.png

Mine usually get them, gosh............I think between 4/5 months. I have mixed calls (grandma or great-grandma to some was a large duck).

Thank you. I have a home for the girls already so the boys are the only ones that i will need to find homes for after i know how many there are. I will just have to keep listening as they grow and see if any of them develop 'the rasp' or 'the QUACK!'

Quote:
gig.gif

Actually, that works for me all the time! I've stopped picking favorites because they always end up being drakes! It doesn't matter if I give it a really fru-fru girly name, tell it that it's a girl, tell everyone else that it's a girl, and refer to it as "she" - it will inevitably grow up to be a drake. Every time.
lol.png

I have 7, 4-week old Call/Runner ducklings, I'll have to re-home the drakes, I'm hoping they're all hens, they're going to be so pretty. Looks like gray with white bibs and some white on the face like their Call Mom and now they're getting charcoal necks and heads, they have the purple/black legs and beaks of their Lavender Runner Dad. Here's a 2-week old photo;

I was wondering the same thing. I have 2 that are 3+/- months old. Their tails are fully feathered and seem flat where drake feather would b. Will it grow curly or eventually curl? Not sure of my duck breeds yet lol

Back
Top Bottom