when will they hatch from a broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Feb 11, 2009.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    My hen has been sitting on these eggs for 21 days. I've seen development in some but it seems slow. We've had really cold weather and she has tons of eggs underneath her. Would that make a difference? How long do I wait?

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    As long as she's sitting on the eggs, just bite your lip and wait. Eggs that fail to develop properly get that obnoxious rotten-egg smell and the hen will kick them out of the nest. If she hasn't done that, she still thinks they're viable.

Having too many eggs under a hen can slow hatching, especially in cold weather, because the eggs along the outer edge aren't as warm as the ones in the center.

Kathy in Texas

3. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I've seen her kick out some eggs that were developing but didn't stink. I guess I just wait. I know she has tons of eggs just spewing all around her, didn't know if she rotated them or not. If they get cold do they stop developing and die?

Also I did candle one egg that was really warm and didn't see any light through it, I think that is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by