When will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by msbackwoods, Apr 8, 2011.

1. msbackwoods

msbackwoods Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    I have 2 sets of eggs waiting on some babies. When do you give up? Neither set show signs of anything. Duck eggs were set on 3/10 and Chickens on 3/16, these were both done in incubator.

I also have a mallard hen that started sitting on a nest in pen as well around the same time. In the pen we have 3 mallard hens and 1 drake and a pair of East Indies. Several nests and they are sitting (not sure if EI has a nest or not since they keeping them covered when not sitting. Should they be seperated from one another once they hatch, any suggestions.

Lots of questions, but we want some babies soon!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Did you candle any of the eggs at all over the last few weeks?? Knowing they were fertile to begin with- or at least that they started developing would give a good indication of whether it is worthwhile waiting more than a few days beyond the due date. If the eggs are rotten though- you will be able to smell it though the shell - and the eggs will look discoloured as well. More of a chance for the ducks by the sounds- but dont give up hope yet.

3. msbackwoods

Jul 4, 2010
    Yes we candled at 7-14 & before taking out of turner. Several showed signs of movement and looked healthy, only a couple were questionable when we started "hatch" term. Total of like 36 eggs combined, I believe 25ish are the ducks.

Any advice on the mom outside?

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    It takes about 28 days for a hen to hatch a clutch (ducks that is).

5. msbackwoods

Jul 4, 2010
    So by my calculations she should be any day? I know she started sitting around the same time we set ones in incubator which was 3/10. That would make yesterday 4/7 day 28.

Should we somehow seclude her from the other hens and drakes? We could partition off the area she has taken over in pen to keep them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by