When will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My buff duck has laid 10 eggs total, but only has 7 now.
    ( One she layed in the pool and had to be thrown out and the other two rotted so i took them out, she doesnt seem to be stressed at all thankfully )

This is her and my first time, they have stayed white, so im thinking they are fertile and not bad.

She laid her first egg on july 31, but that one and the second one were the bad ones i threw out. so her first good egg was on the 2nd, she stopped laying her eggs on the 5th, but then laid 2 more on the 13th and 14th, but no more after that.

SO she had an egg ( and still is broody over it) :
    On the:
    2nd , 3rd, 4th, 5th, 13th, 18, 19th , 20th

I know they say 28 days, but does that mean they will all hatch around the 30th all together , or at seperate times?
    Also, why is she laying them so far apart?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    If they were incubated at different times then no they will not all hatch at the same time. The egg she layed on the 5th and the egg she layed on the 13th are over a week apart so if the others hatch she may abandon that egg. Do you have male ducks, so you know the eggs are fertile? Have you candled the eggs?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    All my ducks are rescues, I have 2 drakes, but one is elderly, and the other is my stud, i have no doubt that they are fertile because he goes at it a few times a day.

If she abandons the other, what do i do if i want it to hatch? I dont own an incubator, ive never even seen one in use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by