When will they lay? ~ Silkie/Cochin cross pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 11, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have Silkco (Silkie/Cochin cross) pullets that are about 3 months or so old. When do these breeds usually start laying? Will they be broody?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Both Silkies and Cochins are known for going broody but neither are generally good layers.

I bet they're cute!

3. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you mean laying as in for fertile eggs or eating eggs? I am hoping to raise more of these guys, they are gorgeous! [​IMG]

4. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    When lay darn well want to!LOL Sometimes it could take up to 8 months, my EE's are at 7 months and I got one tiny green egg and then nothing![​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    So possibly by next spring then huh? [​IMG]
    Well I would hope by spring & they would be fertilized eggs. These guys are really pretty!

6. Quote:fertile eggs and eating eggs are all the same eggs. neither make a difference in how a breed lays or doesn't lay.

7. Quote:You do realize that you need a rooster to fertlize eggs, right?

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    fertile eggs and eating eggs are all the same eggs. neither make a difference in how a breed lays or doesn't lay.

I realize that....and
    [​IMG] Yes I have 5 silkie/cochin roos.​

9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I don't know about silkie/cochins but my standard cochins are 25 weeks and nothing. All the other chicks from the same order have started except them. But i don't care they are still sweet little beauties.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have heard of them start laying as early ar 16 weeks up 30 weeks. Silkies generally are good brooders. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by