When will they lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mustangsaguaro, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I have a bunch of pullets ranging in age from 1 (9mo), 3 (7mo), 2 (6 1/2mo), and 1 (6mo) and none of them have started laying eggs yet, why? All of these pullets are Ameraucana's (they are not EE). Am I doing something wrong? I have a Buff Orp that is 8 months and she started laying eggs at 5 or 6 months of age. Why aren't these pullets laying yet? Do Ameraucana's take longer to mature than other birds? The one that is 9mo is very red around her pea comb and looks like she might begin laying, but she has been very red in the past too, but nothing. My birds do free range during the day (hoping they aren't laying out somewhere where I can't find the eggs). If anyone can give me suggestions would greatly appreciate it. And yes, I do know they will lay when they are ready, but this is really frustrating especially the one the is 9mo old.

Thanks
    Kim

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm thinking it's time to go on an Easter Egg hunt.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Kim, I believe that the Ameraucanas and EE's are the most variable of the breeds. You may have hit some kind of jackpot with 4 out of 4 late-bloomers.

Decreasing light and insufficient protein may also be reasons for no eggs.

Steve

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    digitS' :

Kim, I believe that the Ameraucanas and EE's are the most variable of the breeds. You may have hit some kind of jackpot with 4 out of 4 late-bloomers.

Decreasing light and insufficient protein may also be reasons for no eggs.

I hope they are just late bloomers and not total duds. I would have thought the 9 mo old would be laying by now. She doesn't wander real far so if she is laying have no idea where it could be.

You stated "insufficient protein may also be the reasons for no eggs." I am giving my birds a layer mix (organic only). I have 1 or 2 hens that are moulting so I have added chick starter in w/ the mix of feed as I was under the impression that chick start is a little higher in protein and during a moult hens need a little higher protein. Is my thinking incorrect on this?

Thanks
    Kim​

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Starter is high in protein and I think it's a good idea to add to their layer feed. Not only will it give additional protein but the starter will dilute some of the extra calcium your non-layers don't really need. They aren't turning out any egg shells.

I see now that you have 7 Ameraucanas. The Buff Orpington is laying but are there other layers? And, there are others that are molting - or are the ones molting the non-laying Ameraucanas?

Well, just make sure that the layers don't start turning out soft shelled eggs. You may need some oyster shell if they are eating very much starter. The extra protein is good for growing new feathers and developing those pullets into laying hens.

Steve

edited: "Starter is high in protein" not "Starter is higher than protein" - - what was I thinking?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    What would be good to add for extra protein ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by