When will they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Quadog, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    I have 3 brs & 2 ees that were hatched in the beginning of September. When should I expect them to start laying eggs. I live in Indiana & it is very cold now & will be untill April. Will that affect the date ? I am getting anxious!!!! [​IMG]

Also, I would like to buy about 6 more hens that are already laying or about to start. Anybody around Lawrenceburg Indiana area got any to sell??

I have 1 EE roo that I would like to find a home for also because I already have a BR roo.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd expect the BRs to begin anywhere from the beginning of February to mid March. EEs can vary alot. Have had them lay about 22 weeks and one as late as 40 weeks. They may delay a week or two longer due to the cold, but I get first eggs anytime. Just had a Delaware pullet begin laying this week.

3. Tecalli

Tecalli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    State College, PA
    Hi Quadog, I'm rather new to this myself, but I think you may have awhile more to wait. My barred rock was hatched May 20th and did not start laying till late November. My EE hatched at the same time and has yet to lay an egg. My third hen is a blue orphington, hatched May 12th. She laid her first egg on Dec. 27th. But after my BR started, she has laid an egg EVERY day since! The orphington lays seems to take a day off from laying every third day.

4. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    OK, so they should start around 6 months. How old will they be when they quit laying?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by