1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when will they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by can you hear me now?, Oct 29, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Hi all I bought some chicks at around mid may or so. Most of hem barred rocks. The others are silkies and then i have some that hatched around the same time. Been a little over two weeks the cockerel have been crowing but still no eggs. I was figuring around the end of October but still no eggs. Are there signs I should be looking for like comb color or something? Any help would be appreciated. I want to add that I have them on a light timer so.they still get their 14 hours of sunlight a day. Nothing should be stopping them. Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Ok now I am just bumping the thread cause maybe nobody saw it when I originally posted it.

3. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    can you hear me now? :

Hi all I bought some chicks at around mid may or so. Most of hem barred rocks. The others are silkies and then i have some that hatched around the same time. Been a little over two weeks the cockerel have been crowing but still no eggs. I was figuring around the end of October but still no eggs. Are there signs I should be looking for like comb color or something? Any help would be appreciated. I want to add that I have them on a light timer so.they still get their 14 hours of sunlight a day. Nothing should be stopping them. Any ideas?

Normally, I could answer your question wtth total confidence! Hmm, I have five 30 week olds who are not laying yet, and I know the signs, I've been saying for the past 6 weeks, any week now. Mine have been on a timer for 6 weeks or so, and I've had chickens for 4 or 5 years now.

So, enough about me, back to your question.

Signs to look for are the wattle and comb growth, and the color. They will get really red when they are ready to lay. (Which mine are) If you reach to pet one, they will squat for you, the same as they would do for their rooster, (which mine don't do).

The shortening day length right now, can slow them down, even with extended lighting. Make sure you are giving them good layer feed, not too many treats.....Mine love pumpkins, but they've already been told, no more pumpkins til I get eggs, and at this rate, they may have to wait until next year for more pumpkin. lo.​

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    It is so hard to be patient. My chickens were from the last of April and the first of May. They started laying, finally, three weeks ago.

The layer pellets are important and I agree.....but, I think mine started laying after I started making sure they were getting enough calcium and protein. Just a little extra each day of things that were good for them.

Around two to three weeks after I noticed the rooster had started breeding them they started laying. My only experience with chickens.

But, I can tell you it will be an exciting day!!

5. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Thanks I have noticed redder combs and some do squat but some dont. Hoping any day now the hatchery BR's seem to lay quite well so I am looking foward to it.

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Lol yes it will. I can't wait till Kk.e start. Skipped a year on chickens but now I want and miss the fresh eggs. The anticipation is killing me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by