1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will they lay????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gdana2, Jan 6, 2011.

1. gdana2

gdana2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    I have three bobwhite hens in a heated garage with the temp ranging from 40-70 degrees. Most of the time it is 60 degrees and they have 17 hours of artifical light. They have been inside since the second week of December. When should I see my first egg?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They could lay any day, or it could be spring. Sometimes they won't lay out of breeding season regaurdless of the conditions.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:EXACTLY. ALSO IT DEPENDS ON #1 STRAIN OF BOB, #2 AGE OF BIRDS, #3 TYPE OF LIGHT... AND 40 TO 70 IS A BIT COLD TO TRICK A BOB.... 60+ ALL THE TIME, FLOURESCENT BRIGHT LIGHTING 16+ HRS A DAY UNINTERUPTED---- AND AS ROBO SO APTLY PUT IT SOME SIMPLY WILL NOT BE TRICKED

4. Berlena

Berlena Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Quote:EXACTLY. ALSO IT DEPENDS ON #1 STRAIN OF BOB, #2 AGE OF BIRDS, #3 TYPE OF LIGHT... AND 40 TO 70 IS A BIT COLD TO TRICK A BOB.... 60+ ALL THE TIME, FLOURESCENT BRIGHT LIGHTING 16+ HRS A DAY UNINTERUPTED---- AND AS ROBO SO APTLY PUT IT SOME SIMPLY WILL NOT BE TRICKED

My 3 coturnix hens live outside in a rabbit hutch and there is a enclosed box on one end. I do not put lights on them or any sort of heater. It ranges here from 38 to 68 the last few weeks....is it unusual for them to continue laying? We have so many! LOL

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Coturnix Do Not Compare In The Least With Bobs... They Are Way Different Speces. Coturnix Will Lay Or Die Trying... Them Bob Hens Are Stingy Little Witches In Comparison When It Comes To Eggs [​IMG]

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:this probably has no basis but my pet theory is that any given Bob hen has only so many eggs per season she CAN lay once she hits that number they just peter out until she get 8-12 weeks of holiday / vacation [​IMG] JMHO

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    David I Dont Know Of Any Scientific Proof Backing That Up But In My Experience You're Right. Seems Like They Have Limits And Once Maxed Out They're Done Til The Rest Up And Get New Limits

8. gdana2

gdana2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    I am lighting with an incadescent 65 watt light bulb on a timer. I have Mexican Seckled and Regular Bobwhites that are approximately 8 months old and have never been through a laying season. They are in a second story of my garage that is heated with wood 24 hours a day. I have been cracking the window open to regulate the temp at about 70 degrees because I thought 80 would be too warm. Do I need a different light??

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:SEEIN'S HOW THE INCANDESCENT ISNT HAVING AN DECENT RESULTS.... YES! PERSONALLY I RAISE BUTLERS WHICH ARE CONISUERS OF ARTIFICIAL LIGHT... TOOK ME A COUPLE OF YEARS TO GET ANY TO STIMULATED LAYING... FLOURESCENT LIGHTS... DEFINATELY... AND YOU WANT THE HARSHER MORE BLUE LIGHT, NOT THE SOFT/WARM LIGHT. THE BIRDS LAYER DRIVE IS TRIGGERED BY BLUE SPECTRUM LIGHT

10. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That is why my coturnix started breeding in November. When I changed to LEDs they layed great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by