When will they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goodridge_, Sep 13, 2011.

1. goodridge_

goodridge_ Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Pembrokeshire,Wales
    I have 2 but only one picture atm. how long do you think itll be before she starts laying shes gone really redish round the eyes and ears. There both 20 weeks and she seem to crow quite a lot. But is she just imitating our leghorn that is laying.?

[​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yep, looks like she should lay soon. But if she's crowing, maybe not. If you really mean the "egg song" they do though, as I said, soon from the looks of her.

Sometimes I hen will decide she's really a rooster and if she's crowing exactly the way a rooster would, she may not lay after all. It happens.

3. goodridge_

Sep 13, 2011
    Pembrokeshire,Wales
    It seems to be more like my laying leghorn. But its never as long as the leghorns song just sounds so similar

4. goodridge_

Sep 13, 2011
    Pembrokeshire,Wales
    just cant wait for my first egg haha

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. Clairabelle

Clairabelle New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    She looks about the same as my girls did when they started to lay a few weeks ago (two days before my birthday, best birthday present ever!), they were about 19 weeks at the time and had just started making a bunch of noise too, kind of cackling... good luck, I'm sure it'll be soon! [​IMG]

6. goodridge_

Sep 13, 2011
    Pembrokeshire,Wales
    Yeah thats how it sounds like a cakle an the.noise level. Has taken an up. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by