when will they lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grtnana, Aug 7, 2014.

1. grtnana

grtnana In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    hello all,

I have only three right now. I believe one of my chickens is a roo so I will be taking him out of the coop. My questios is can I add another chicken to the two that are staying. one is a RIR and the other is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. They are both about 20 weeks old. I am thinking of adding a opington which is allready laying eggs. My two girls have not started laying.

Another question. When can I expect the RIR and the Wyandotte to start laying.

Thanks for the help.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most breeds commence between 20 and 24 weeks but is also dependent on time of year.

It's hard to add a single bird to an established flock, especially a docile breed like orpington into one with a bully breed like RIR. A lot depends on the amount of space you have. You may want to do so before you remove the cockerel since they sometimes tend to keep peace in a flock.

3. grtnana

grtnana In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you. I swear this bird is trying to crow every morning. I have had her for three weeks. I took another picture you still think this is a hen.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: