when will they lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grtnana, Aug 7, 2014.

1. grtnana

grtnana Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    hello all,

I have only three right now. I believe one of my chickens is a roo so I will be taking him out of the coop. My questios is can I add another chicken to the two that are staying. one is a RIR and the other is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. They are both about 20 weeks old. I am thinking of adding a opington which is allready laying eggs. My two girls have not started laying.

Another question. When can I expect the RIR and the Wyandotte to start laying.

Thanks for the help.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most breeds commence between 20 and 24 weeks but is also dependent on time of year.

It's hard to add a single bird to an established flock, especially a docile breed like orpington into one with a bully breed like RIR. A lot depends on the amount of space you have. You may want to do so before you remove the cockerel since they sometimes tend to keep peace in a flock.

3. grtnana

grtnana Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you. I swear this bird is trying to crow every morning. I have had her for three weeks. I took another picture you still think this is a hen.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by