when will they molt??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GGBEAR, Dec 26, 2014.

1. GGBEAR

GGBEAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    hi all I live in the UK (Yorkshire) my friend across the road his 2 chickens stopped laying a couple of months ago and when in to a big molt apparently he said they only had a few tail feathers left where as mine all 5 are still laying usually 5 a day with no signs of stopping or molting does anyone have any idea why mine have not started this process??????
    Its me first year with them 4 of them are just a year old and 1 is just 7 months

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Young birds generally don't undergo a 'full' molt until midway or so through their second year.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Your chickens are still young so may not molt until next year, Allthough its not unheard of for pullets to have a mini molt. My ambers (just over a year old) are still laying and havnt had a major molt only a few lost feathers a month or so ago. Also depends on what breed your chickens are some breeds have a more major molt than others. I have some 7 month old polish that have just started laying showing no signs of molting.

4. GGBEAR

GGBEAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    Oh OK thanks for that that explains a few things I'm still learning at the mo only been a chicken owner since end of April!!
    In regards to breeds I have a road rock, white star, Columbian black tail, speckled leg horn and a bluebell who is the youngest.[​IMG] this is speckles
    [​IMG] this is pepper
    [​IMG] this is Maggie
    [​IMG] this is chilly
    [​IMG] and the youngest of them all shadow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by