1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will they sett?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by whitebutcher, Oct 19, 2008.

1. whitebutcher

whitebutcher New Egg

Oct 19, 2008
    back in the hills
    I ordered chicks from a well known hatchery this year and recieved them on june ninth.They are a little over four months old now and all are doing well.I ordered specific breeds because i want to experiment with crossing them.My question is when can I expect the hens to go broody?I know they start laying at aprox five months,But when do they start setting?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Many breeds are not known for broodiness so your birds may not ever go broody. Even with breeds that tend towards broodiness it depends on the individual bird and how the hormones hit them.

See Henderson's chart for broody tendency of different breeds.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My sister got BO's, hatched March 29, from McMurray. She had several of them broody already last month, before they were 6 months old. I never had a broody McMurray BO, so hers must be special! [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I can't imagine that any of my hens from McMurray will go broody... but if they do...I'm buying chicks to put under them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by