When will they start laying (pictures attached) ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fancypants1, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I have 17 week old hens and would like to know based on these pictures of them when I should expect them to start laying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Talonstorm

Talonstorm Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    Southern California
    Mine are 17 weeks too, playing the waiting game just like you are. [​IMG]

3. bekahubbell

bekahubbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2014
    Alpine, CA
    I have a 23 week and a 19 week, I am on pins and needles! Good luck! Its just a waiting game now

4. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Your Polish and dog are beautiful!!!

5. bekahubbell

bekahubbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2014
    Alpine, CA
    Thanks!

6. growsaposy

growsaposy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Mine are 20 weeks and have been laying off and on since 18 weeks. The first eggs were quite small and irregularly spaced but they are settling down now and lay 1 a day or 1 every other day. They had to explore the laying nests thoroughly and I could tell they knew they were supposed to do SOMEthing in there but it took a little time. I have 4 pullets coming along at 4 months now and one laid a little one the other day. They are Americaunas. Just be patient, my green eggs are beautiful!

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I repeat what others have said: Patience, Grasshopper! My Red Sex Links were 17 and 18 weeks before I got my first eggs, and in the beginning the eggs were very small, but they came regularly. My Easter Eggers started at about 20 weeks. Speaking of which, I thought Ameraucanas only laid blue eggs. Confused here.

8. growsaposy

growsaposy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    You know you could be right. My granddaughter's science class hatched these and just told me they thought they were Americaunas. Reading the lit is a wee bit confusing, but they are(Poppy and Teensy-who isn't small anymore) all iridescent black and Berty is soft dark grey. Sunni and Iris are wheaten. Caramel is a mystery because she is polka dot but changing to black. They have puffy cheeks and hardly any comb (a pea comb?) One has a beard. I am not claiming to be certain as they are just pets. The egg color varies very slightly between pale mint green (with robin's egg blue on the inside of the shell, and sort of a khaki color also. It's very enjoyable having chickens again!! Thanks for your advice!

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Aww, I don't care about being right....I was just curious and new enough not to trust my limited knowledge of chicken genetics yet. I just figured out recently that there are other signs that a chicken is a rooster besides watching to see if he lifts his leg on a tree. I love my Easter Eggers. I think they are my favorite chickens of my entire group and I love seeing the different shades of blue each one lays, like you with the greens! So here's to Easter Eggers - may they be forever friendly, forever diverse in their coloring and feathering, and may they continue to drive us novices crazy with their differences!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by