When will they start laying (pictures attached) ??

Mine are 17 weeks too, playing the waiting game just like you are.
fl.gif

Mine are 20 weeks and have been laying off and on since 18 weeks. The first eggs were quite small and irregularly spaced but they are settling down now and lay 1 a day or 1 every other day. They had to explore the laying nests thoroughly and I could tell they knew they were supposed to do SOMEthing in there but it took a little time. I have 4 pullets coming along at 4 months now and one laid a little one the other day. They are Americaunas. Just be patient, my green eggs are beautiful!

I repeat what others have said: Patience, Grasshopper! My Red Sex Links were 17 and 18 weeks before I got my first eggs, and in the beginning the eggs were very small, but they came regularly. My Easter Eggers started at about 20 weeks. Speaking of which, I thought Ameraucanas only laid blue eggs. Confused here.

You know you could be right. My granddaughter's science class hatched these and just told me they thought they were Americaunas. Reading the lit is a wee bit confusing, but they are(Poppy and Teensy-who isn't small anymore) all iridescent black and Berty is soft dark grey. Sunni and Iris are wheaten. Caramel is a mystery because she is polka dot but changing to black. They have puffy cheeks and hardly any comb (a pea comb?) One has a beard. I am not claiming to be certain as they are just pets. The egg color varies very slightly between pale mint green (with robin's egg blue on the inside of the shell, and sort of a khaki color also. It's very enjoyable having chickens again!! Thanks for your advice!

You know you could be right. My granddaughter's science class hatched these and just told me they thought they were Americaunas. Reading the lit is a wee bit confusing, but they are(Poppy and Teensy-who isn't small anymore) all iridescent black and Berty is soft dark grey. Sunni and Iris are wheaten. Caramel is a mystery because she is polka dot but changing to black. They have puffy cheeks and hardly any comb (a pea comb?) One has a beard. I am not claiming to be certain as they are just pets. The egg color varies very slightly between pale mint green (with robin's egg blue on the inside of the shell, and sort of a khaki color also. It's very enjoyable having chickens again!! Thanks for your advice!

Aww, I don't care about being right....I was just curious and new enough not to trust my limited knowledge of chicken genetics yet. I just figured out recently that there are other signs that a chicken is a rooster besides watching to see if he lifts his leg on a tree. I love my Easter Eggers. I think they are my favorite chickens of my entire group and I love seeing the different shades of blue each one lays, like you with the greens! So here's to Easter Eggers - may they be forever friendly, forever diverse in their coloring and feathering, and may they continue to drive us novices crazy with their differences!

Back
Top Bottom