When will they start laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenCrazy8, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    I have 4 pullets: 1 SLW, 1 BA, and 2 Ameraucanas. They are now four months old. When should they all hypothetically start laying???
    Thanks,
    Zoë

2. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    For the most part pullets can start as early as 18 weeks, I've had them start at that age, the average at about 20 weeks. I've also heard that when they are hatched in late winter and early spring they usually start laying early but if they hatched in late spring or summer it may take them longer to start laying which is what I am finding out now, mine are 23 weeks and still aren't laying, they were hatched in early May. And all the chicks I've hatched in late February or early march laid in August.

1 person likes this.
  3. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    I second that, as mine where hatched April 25 and only 1 has been laying. Next time I start a flock I am going to plan out the timing differently!

4. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    My 14 girls were hatched April 25th also. Only 2 are laying as of yet. One is a dominique who started at 22 weeks (5 1/2 mos.) and has layed every day since. The other is either the Ancona or the Golden Campine who gave her first egg yesterday at 1 day short of 24 weeks. The first flock I had (5 hens) were hatched February 26, 2007 and started laying July 16 at 4 1/2 months. That's a month's difference in the two flocks. Maybe the hatch time does make a difference. Wondered also about shorter day length now or perhaps the smaller flock being less stressed. Only the chickens know I guess and we are left to wonder. I only know they can't hold them in forever!

1 person likes this.
  5. 6littlechicks

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    I know right! They have to let them out sometime. It's neat that they share the same birthday[​IMG] We are making progress, My RIR is squatting and "practicing" the egg song, so is my 30 week old blue cochin whos butt doubled in size this month, and my BO that turns 19 weeks tomorrow has been checking out the nest boxes daily and left feathers in there for me this morning, lol. I'm so excited, they are getting closer. I checked out the daylight calculator and it said for my coordinants I am getting 11 hours of day light so I put in a set of orange halloween lights on a timer to go on at 4am and off at 8:30 pm when my girls are in their coop for the night at 6:30.

6. 6littlechicks

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    woohooo! my RIR layed her first egg today! 24 weeks 1day.

7. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Yay!!!! Congrats :)

8. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    They are laying [​IMG]